How did you meet your (now) husband? We met at work
How long have you been together? Proposed after 2.5 years, been together now for 4.5
Do you have a proposal story?
We talked about getting married, and discussed a tentative date far into the future in 2016. Peter gave into his spontaneous whims one sunny winter morning, when I went out to water our plants. I was dressed in my trackie dacks and ugg boots. Right there, unplanned and in the garden just after I had picked a lavender flower and given it to him, Pete asked me to marry him. My answer was an instant yes of course. Followed by … seriously are you kidding!! Because it was so unexpected. The next day we went ring shopping and I chose a ring. After the purchase of the ring, he then surprised me with designer shoe “Christian Louboutin” to make up for the fact that he didn’t plan a monumental gesture for the proposal. I don’t think he realises just how perfect it really was, I wore the shoes on our wedding day.
What was your wedding date? 12th October 2014
Location (Ceremony and Reception)
1. Where? Both ceremony and reception were at Dunbar House, Watsons Bay
2. What made you choose there?
- Having wheelchair access
- Having the ceremony and reception in the same place
- Close to CBD and public transport
- Wedding coordinator answered all my questions before I could ask them. It was great how she took us through how the day work go - really great little sales pitch without being too pushy….no other venues had bothered to do that.
- We had such small numbers so it was great that Dunbar house was able to accommodate us…where most places we didn’t meet the minimum
The Wedding Details
Theme (if any – colours, features, etc.)?
I tried to stay true to the venue and drew my inspiration and colours from there. I also wanted to make sure that lavender was included in the floral arrangements as it was significant during the proposal
How was the weather on the day? Clear and sunny 29 degrees
What made you decide to get married on this particular date? Closest weekend date to our anniversary
1. Female witness – who/relationship? Ellen, sister in-law (she is now engaged to Peter’s brother Andrew)
2. Male witness – who/relationship? Andrew, brother in-law (he is Peter’s brother)
Wedding Gown (the most important part!)
What made you decide to come into Karen Willis Holmes? A close friend urged me to try the dress on. Apparently she had a really good feeling about it
Where have you seen our gowns (if at all) before? Never
How many gowns did you try? Can’t even remember it was that many … but nothing compared to this dress, I felt it was really flattering for my figure
Where did you purchase your gown from (which store or stockist)? Paddington
What did you especially like about your gown? Lace bodice (I have broad shoulders, it didn’t accentuate them/ hid them) Split (I could move freely and I felt really comfortable)
Who is your bridesmaid dress supplier? Zimmerman
What accessories did you choose to finish your gown and also for those in your bridal party? Charlotte Cuff from Anna Campbell
Where did you get your shoes from? Christian Louboutin a present from hubby
Florist - Ingrid Fox, close friend who has just started her own florist/ wedding stylist business called Bohemian Botanica. One thing I knew for sure during the planning process was that I wanted her as my florist
Photographer - Matt Johnson, the loved ones
Celebrant - Jessie Cacchillo
Stationery - By Invitation Only
Cake - Black Star Pastry
Orange flourless cake with orange blossom butter cream
Hair and Makeup - Michelle Mae,
Rings: Custom wooden ring box